Car Crime – Lets Stop It !!
During October, November and December 2008 we are having a special campaign to try and reduce Car Crime on Campus Car Parks.
There will be regular information going out to everyone about this during the next few weeks but to begin, we have put together:
Defeating Car Crime - The 10 Golden Rules
1. Remove all goods from inside the car , preferably taking them with you if practical or if not place them in the boot
2. If you have a Sat Nav, remove the holder and wipe the window area to remove all evidence that you have a Sat Nav - this is important because it could be assumed you have put this in your glove box and a thief will risk breaking into the car to check.
3. Make sure all doors are locked and all windows are completely closed
4. Park in a well light area and preferably on a car park which is well supervised and has CCTV.
5. Keep your doors locked and windows shut when driving in built up areas and especially at Traffic lights
6. Remove the ignition key and engage the steering lock even when your car is in your garage also lock your garage door.
7. Purchase a steering lock as this is a visual and inexpensive way of immobilising your vehicle.
8. Be aware of car jacking and do not stop if someone tries to pull you over for no apparent reason – drive to a police station and report the issue
9. Leave your glove box open to show there are no valuables in it
10 When returning to your car always have your car keys ready in your hand – not at the bottom of a bag or briefcase !